Our Story

Ceremony

Just Married

Love is a Coloring Book and Crayons

by - July 16, 2015


The other day after work my husband came home toting a Target bag filled with a Disney coloring book, crayons and colored pencils. For those of you that don't know us that well yet, I am going to be honest here - we do not have a 6-year-old art fanatic at home. The supplies were for yours truly.

The day before the hubs and I were chatting and I shared how much my college roomie and I (way back in the day) used to love coloring as it was a mindless, almost therapeutic act for us as soon-to-be teachers to do in between studying and paper writing. That very next day he surprised me when he came home with my bag full of day-brightening goodies.










For me though, it isn't really about the coloring book and crayons (as much as I enjoyed shading in Minnie Mouse as we watched a movie that evening), but it's about how much this simple gesture on the hub's part made me feel so incredibly loved. For a man who could not keep most dates I give him straight to save his life, he consistently reminds me in small ways such as these that he is listening - actively at that. Not only is he listening, but he takes the time out of his day to (be it even a small moment or two) to show me that he is, and he validates and reminds me that my thoughts and feelings are important. He reminds me that I am special - especially to him. I love and appreciate when he gets me a card to celebrate my last day of school before summer or sends me a text throughout the day just to say how blessed he feels to be my one and only. I love that he insists each morning that I say goodbye to him with a kiss (even though he is usually still conked out like a mummy) and will call me out if I don't.  I love that he consistently tells me to "go for it" or "try it" when I come up with another crazy idea to try some new venture (even if he may secretly think I've lost my marbles), because he knows I have to see for myself. I love how much he loves me.





My husband shows me daily how to give and receive love. His simple acts of kindness be it in his words or actions are moving to me. He reminds me that I do not have to do fancy things or purchase lavish gifts to show others around me that I care. It's the little things. The time spent listening - really listening. It's the card with the heartfelt message or the phone call just to say hey I was thinking of you today. It's bringing your coworker a coffee or telling your friend you believe in them - and meaning it. You see all many of us really need to feel loved is just the smallest of gestures. Sometimes all it takes is a coloring book and crayons.

You May Also Like

0 comments